Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT INDIA
1. India is one of the world's largest and oldest civilizations.
2. India never invaded any country in her 10,000 years of history.
3. India is the world's largest democracy.
4. The Indian city of Varanasi, also known as Benares, is the oldest,
continuously inhabited city in the world.
5. India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
6. The World's first university was established in India, in Takshashila in
700BC, where more than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than
7. Sanskrit, the language of ancient India, is considered the mother of all the
European languages. Per a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987, Sanskrit is the
most suitable language for computer softwares.
8. India discovered Ayurveda, the earliest school of medicine known to humans.
Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.
9. Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development,
India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the
early 17th century.
10. The art of Navigation was born in River Sindhu, in India, 6000 years ago.
The word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Navgatih’. The word navy
is also derived from Sanskrit word 'Nou'.
11. In the 5th century, Indian astronomer, Bhaskaracharya, calculated the time
taken by the earth to orbit the sun and noted that to be 365.258756484 days.
12. The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, in India in the 6th
century, and he explained the concept of what was later discovered as the
13. Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus were first formulated in India. Quadratic
equations were formulated by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.
14. The game of Chess (Shataranja or Ashta Pada) was invented in India.
15. Sushruta, known as the father of surgery, together with health scientists of
his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial
limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery,
more than 2600 years ago. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India.
Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion,
metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many Vedic Indian texts.
16. When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago,
Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley
17. The four religions born in India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism,
are followed by 25% of the world's population.
18. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
19. India is one of the few countries in the World, which gained independence
20. India has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in the World.
21. India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
22. India is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a super
23. Indian film industry is the largest film industry in the world, producing
more than 1000 films a year.
24. Yoga has its origins in India and has been practiced by Indians for over
25. Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT BHUTAN
1. Bhutanfollows the system of Democracy as well as Constitutional Monarchy.
2. The country has been declared as one of the ten bio-diversity ‘hotspots’ in
the world for its huge bio diversity.
3. In 2006, Business Week rated Bhutan as the happiest country in Asia and the
eighth happiest country in the world.
4. In Bhutan, healthcare is free for both residents as well as visitors.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT NEPAL
1. Mount Everest (8,848 metres), the highest peak in the world, forms the
highest point in Nepal.
2. Lumbini,where the Lord Buddha was born over 2,500 years ago, is located in
3. Of the fifteen highest mountain peaks in the World, nine of them are
contained within the Nepal Himalayas.
4. Nepal is also the Gateway to Kailash Mansarovar, the mythical abode of Lord
5. In Nepal there are as many 100 nationalities speaking more than 125 different
6. Nepal holds wonderful / diverse records such as:
o The highest lake on the earth (Tilicho 4800 meters)
o The deepest lake (145 meter) She Phoksundo at the highest elevation (3600mt.)
o The deepest gorges (1200 meter) in Kaligandaki & other glaciers
o The highest valley on earth (Arun valley)
7. The Nepali language is the closest living language to Sanskrit.
8. Most people in Nepal call Mt. Everest, Sagarmtha, meaning forehead in the
sky. Speakers of the Tibetan language call Mt.Everest Chomolungma. The
translation is "goddess, mother of the world."
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SRI LANKA
1. Sri Lanka finds a mention in the great Indian epic Ramayana, which was,
written around 500 BC.
2. Mrs. Sirimavo Bandaranaike of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) became the first female
Prime Minister of the world in 1960.
3. The national flag of Sri Lanka, the Lion Flag, is considered to be one of the
oldest flags in the world.
4. The Sri Lankan flag is the only one in the world to recognise different
religious groups. The yellow border and pipul leaves symbolise Buddhism which is
the main religion in the country. As well as this the green and saffron bands
represent the country's Muslim and Hindu Tamil communities.
5. The spice cinnamon originated in Sri Lanka and was discovered by the
6. Sri Lanka is the world's largest tea exporter.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MALDIVES
1. Maldives holds the record for being the flattest country in the world.
2. Interestingly the flag of Maldives also has a story behind it. The white
semi-circle symbolizes Islamic faith. The red color of the flag is the
signification of blood sacrificed by the nation’s heroes. The green section of
the national flag represents the life source of Maldives that are the palm
3. It has also been ranked as the best country brand for beach, rest and
relaxation in 2008.
4. Maldives has 1199 coral islands, grouped in twenty-six major atolls.